So What are WordPress Plugins?
Before I give you the 5 plugins that WordPress sites should start out with, let me just explain what are plugins.
WordPress by itself is like a brand new Android Phone, you can get the phone functions but without apps, you don’t get any of the games or fancy applications that makes your life easier.
Plugins for WordPress does all that, by itself WordPress is a excellent blogging site, but with Plugins, you can make it do whatever you want…well that excludes pouring you a beer ;).
They provide additional functions that you want on your site without having to code them yourself.
- Want to sell products on your site? There’s WooCommerce and many others
- Want to offer a course on you site? There’s WP CourseWare and others
- Newbie to SEO? Yoast SEO and many others can make your site SEO soar!
Having used tons of plugins while testing and creating sites, here are the 5 free plugins that I recommend anyone starting out to have.
- Yoast: Can’t say anything bad about it, it is a must have for making SEO easy and no more paying money to get SEO on your site.
- Broken Link Checker: As your site grows, it is likely that broken links or images start appearing, use this once in a while to make sure you’re not showing visitors pages that don’t exist anymore.
- Siteorigin.: Allows you to build responsive page layouts using the widgets you know and love using a simple drag and drop page builder. Remember to get the bundle here as well to get the most out of it.
- WordFence: Free version provides the basic firewall and malware scanning to provides free enterprise-class WordPress security, protecting your website from hacks and malware.
- Jetpack: This comes installed with WordPress by default and is a great tool for tracking stats of visitors to your site and checking your site for downtime automatically among other many great benefits.
As usual, I hope this 5 plugins help make your site safer and better.
About Jacy The Hosting Guy
Over at Jacy The Hosting Guy, besides making sure your web hosting needs are taken care of, your account also comes default with CDN (CloudFlare) and caching enabled to make sure your site is loaded quickly for your visitor no matter where they are.
Free WordPress site transfers are included when signing up with Jacy The Hosting Guy.